Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Review: Obsidian


Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L Armentrout
Series: Lux series
Release Date: May 2012


Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.
 



So, I'm going to be honest. It took me a LONG time to talk myself into picking up this book, despite countless people recommending it. Why? Because I wasn't sure I would be into the whole alien thing. Even though, yes there was a show I watched about aliens that I did enjoy. I don't know. If you don't remember, I used to be an extremely picky reader and only recently ( the past 3 years) started reading more diverse genres, and more out of my perceived comfort zone. I still from time to time revert back to my picky ways unfortunately. But while looking for something to read at my local library, i decided to finally pick up this book. 
Katy is starting over. Her mom moved her away from all she has known, to try to run from their grief. Besides starting over in a new, small town where everyone knows everyone... she also has new neighbors. She quickly makes friends with Dee, with her outgoing and bubbly personality. But Dee's twin brother Daemon? That's a different story. He is an arrogant, infuriating, gorgeous jerk that she would want nothing more than to stab, or kiss. 
Katy also notices strange happenings around the twins, that she can't quite put her finger on... When Katy is attacked by a stranger, Daemon freezes time to save her- which ends up marking her with his alien powers. Now Katy is forced to stick close to Daemon, until the mark fades if she wants to survive the enemies out to steal Daemon and Dee's powers. 
I honestly really enjoyed this book. It was a great YA read. Aliens, danger, and angst? check. I love the whole enemies-to-lovers type romance which this had. The crazy amount of chemistry between Daemon and Katy was out of this world. You never knew if they were going to kiss or kill one another from one moment to the next. And with the forbidden aspect- Daemon isn't suppose to mingle with humans; Katy isn't suppose to know their secret- that adds to their whole tension and dynamics as well. I love being able to relate to the characters- and with Katy having her own book blog, she became easier to connect with.  I may have been reluctant to start this series, but I can't wait to continue it. I even picked up Onyx from my library! If you love YA paranormal reads, i would definitely recommend this book. 4 out of this world ⭐ out of 5⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment