Skip to main content

Review: Ruthless Rival

 


Title: Ruthless Rival

Series: Cruel Castaways

Author: LJ Shen

Release Date: May 3



From Wall Street Journal bestselling author L.J. Shen comes an enemies-to-lovers romance about the fine line between seeking revenge and finding love.


When she was young, Arya Roth became best friends with her housekeeper’s son. Soon, friendship turned to young love, and when Arya dared him to kiss her, a chain reaction of disastrous events led to the boy being sent away and out of Arya’s life.


Now, two decades later, Arya is an on-the-rise publicist with her beloved father as one of her biggest clients. So when her father is sued by a former employee, Arya sets out to prove that her father is not the monster he is accused of being. The only problem is the attorney who is determined to destroy her father’s good name. Christian Miller is charming, ambitious, and devilishly good looking, and Arya has no idea he is that same boy who kissed her all those years ago.


Past and present collide as Arya falls hard for Christian. But when she finds out who he really is and about his obsession with getting revenge on her father, can she choose love over family?



Arya spent the summers with her house keeper's son. Their friendship started to blossom into something more- and when Arya dared the boy to kiss her, it set off a chain reaction leading to the boy being sent away out of Arya's life. 

Now, two decades later- her father is being sued by a former employee, and Arya is trying to prove that her father isn't the monster he is accused of being. But there is just one problem and that is the attorney who is set out to destroy her father. 

What happens when past and present collide when Arya starts falling for the attorney, finding out who he really is? 

So... I really don't know what to say about this book. I loved quite a few of LJs works in the past, and always looked forward to reading them. But recently... They just don't bring me the same joy. 

It took a couple days to read Ruthless Rival with everything going on in my life currently, but... Honestly it wasn't really that remarkable. Nothing really stood out. I didn't like or care for either of the main characters, the parents were horrible and we didn't really see anything of the side characters. Their lives were pretty bland- I don't even care to know more about arsene even though he probably would have been my favorite of the three. 

 And we are made to believe that these two characters had fallen in love when they were 13 or 14 (they had their first kiss with each other at 14), and then after that one kiss and not seeing or hearing from either one for nearly twenty years that what? They still love each other? 

Neither had a successful relationship (not surprising for the male lead though he was aweful). And they clashed. The so called chemistry between them was non-existent. And the whole "we can't" but do it anyways knowing full well it would basically ruin each of their lives. He not only tears her father down, ripping everything from him- which given the circumstances was probably warranted, BUT he lies to her, and basically messes with HER life too. He comes out with one speech about being sorry and what? She forgives him just like that? 

They don't see each other for two decades and fall back in love in a matter of weeks with a "no strings attached" relationship that was always doomed to fail since he was the attorney against her father and held the secret of his real identity from her almost up to the very end, despite having MANY opportunities to come clean. 

All, in all I felt the story was bland. The characters were cookie cutouts of what they were "supposed" to be. They didn't have a spark or chemistry between them. And the romance was practically non-existent. 

Honestly, this book wasnt for me. Wasn't worth my time reading it. I loved the IDEA of it. The friends to lovers to rivals to second chance romance. I wanted to love this one.  But alas, I wanted to escape the book and return to my real life drama and dumpster fire rather then the other way around unfortunately. 

But, just because I personally didn't enjoy this book doesn't mean you won't like it. There is plenty of banter between the characters, which I enjoyed. But there are also so many of LJ's works that are better in comparison, and would recommend if you wanted to read an LJ Shen book to pick up one of her earlier works over this.  2⭐ out of 5⭐. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reread: Broken Bonds

  Title: Broken Bonds  Series: Bonds That Tie  Author: J Bree Release Date: June 2021 After the death of my mother and her Bonded, I was relieved to find my own Bonds. I was sure everything would be okay if I had them. It wasn’t. The fate of our people is in my hands and I know we’re better off if I’m alone. After five years on the run, I’m caught and dragged back to face the men I ran away from. I thought I was doing the right thing. Now, I’m not so sure. North, Nox, Gryphon, Atlas, and Gabe may never forgive me but one thing is for sure. I won’t ever forgive myself. *Broken Bonds is a full length reverse harem PNR novel with material that may be difficult for some readers. This book will end on a cliffhanger. It's recommended for 18+ due to language and sexual situations. Goodreads | Amazon   So I am rereading the Bonds that Tie series to read the newest release Broken Ties. You can find my  Original Review Here . This is a romantasy why choose romance full o...

Reread: Forced Bonds

  Title: Forced Bonds  Series: The Bonds That Tie  Author: J Bree Release Date: March 2022 They say to keep your friends close but your enemies closer; What if they’re one and the same? The stable foundation I thought I’d built in the Sanctuary has been ripped away, and I find myself on the front lines of the war against the Resistance. I might have my Bonds on my side, but there are darker schemes in motion. Can I prove myself and turn the tide to protect our most vulnerable, or am I nothing more than the monster they’ve always claimed I am? Will we make it out of this without tragic consequences? *Forced Bonds is a full length reverse harem PNR novel with material that may be difficult for some readers. This book will end on a cliffhanger. It's recommended for 18+ due to language and sexual situations. Goodreads | Amazon   Forced Bonds is book 4 in the Bonds That Tie series & must be read in order - you can find my Original Review Here Oh my god. Even though I...

Review: Broken Ties

  Title: Broken Ties  Series: The Bonds That Tie  Author: J Bree Release Date: November 2025 From J. Bree, bestselling author of The Bonds That Tie comes the highly anticipated POV book that everyone has been crying out for. Even the strongest ties can be broken. 
After five years of searching, we thought nothing could compare to the devastation of our missing Bond. We were wrong. After a chance encounter, she’s been found; alive and enraged at being dragged back to the men she ran from. Made for us all, she's supposed to be the center of our world, but bringing our Bond home wasn't everything we imagined. With bravado that defies reason and lies that never taste right, nothing about our Bond’s story adds up. The Gifted community is in crisis, deception at every turn, and it’s getting harder by the minute not to show them all what we’re truly capable of. With our enemies closing in, one thing is for sure. 
 We won’t let her get away from us again. * Broken Bond is a full-...