Sunday, July 17, 2022

Review: Drive (reread)

 


Title: Drive

Series: Bittersweet Symphony Duet

Author: Kate Stewart

Release Date: October 2017



Music . . . the heart’s greatest librarian.


The average song is three and a half minutes long; those three and a half minutes could lead to a slow blink, a glimpse of the past, or catapult the soul into heart-shattering nostalgia.


At the height of my career, I had the life I wanted, the life I’d always envisioned. I’d found my tempo, my rhythm. Then I received a phone call that left me off key.


You see, my favorite songs had a way of playing simultaneously. I was in love with one man’s beats and another’s lyrics. But when it came to the soundtrack of a life, how could anyone choose a favorite song? So, to erase any doubt, I ditched my first-class ticket and decided to take a drive, fixed on the rearview.


Two days.


One playlist.


And the long road home to the man who was waiting for me.



Music and books have always been a huge part of me. The words, the emotion bleeding out, from the pages or songs, resonating deeply within my soul. They can bring me to tears, or make me laugh out loud. They can have me reliving memories, or have me living in the moment, and making me feel. And maybe I feel to much with the words, the stories or the lyrics, each burring inside of my heart and into bones, my emotions bleeding out with every beat, and every chapter. 

Drive by Kate Stewart makes my two loves collide in this angst filled romance. A story like no other, Stella is set on driving Home, her car eating up the distance, while reliving her memories with one of her playlists. The love, the hurt, and the laughter are etched into each song, each chapter, each lyric and word. 

"Because music is the heart’s greatest librarian. A few notes had the ability to transport me back in time, and to the most painful of places. Take any song from the Rolodex of your life, and you can pin it to a memory. It translates, resonates, and there it will remain. And no matter how many of those Rolodex cards you want to rip out and burn like an old phone number to make room for new ones, those songs remain and threaten to repeat."

And I still loved every single moment of it. The music spoke to me, my heart beating out it's rhythm. The words resonated with me, my heart aching and feeling and loving each of the characters. 

This may have been yet another reread of this story that I fell in love with, in preparation for the new book coming soon, but I didn't feel it any less. The emotion was raw, and brilliant and the story unforgettable and I couldn't get enough. 

"You still want the fairytale, but it’s mine to give you, and I can’t give it to you if you’re with the wrong fucking prince.”

If you're looking for a book with a killer playlist with with nostalgia & memories, a book filled with angst and all consuming love and rock and roll and make you want to wish on 11:11 than look no further...

5⭐out of 5⭐ 3🌶️ out of 5🌶️.

No comments:

Post a Comment