Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Review: Her Romeo

 


Title: Her Romeo

Series: Mafia Rogues: the Rossi Chapter

Author: Quinn Marlowe

Release Date: February 22



She's my best friend from childhood. The girl I thought I loved once. And the woman who just threatened to put me in jail, courtesy of the case she's prosecuting in court. She's also now my prisoner.


Sloane Brennan thought she was on top of the world. Hell, she was on top of the world. But she's also the daughter of my father's enemy, and when my father decides to kidnap her and use her as leverage against her own father, then puts me in charge of watching over her...


Let's just say it puts ideas in my head. Bad, bad ideas. Ideas that I've been fantasizing about for years.


After all, I'm supposed to be taking care of her while she's under the Rossi umbrella, right? And no one actually defined what that means. Right?


When the plan goes awry, though, and it becomes apparent that Sloane's life is actually in danger and my feelings run a whole lot deeper than I realized, I have to recalculate my actions, and decide whether my loyalty is to the family... or the girl I've always loved.


*Her Romeo is the second book of three in Sloane and Joseph's story, and is a dark mafia romance and includes violence and mature sexual themes. If you’re triggered by guns, sex, rape, or murder, this isn’t the series for you.



First, let me preface this by saying there ARE some content that may be triggering so be sure to check for Trigger Warnings about this book. 

Also, even though this book says book one & can be read as a standalone, there is a short about these characters that takes place before these events that is mentioned throughout the story. Yes it can be read without reading that, BUT to get the full story of these characters (& know what they are talking about) it's best to read A Very Rossi Christmas first. 

Sloane Brennen, is the daughter of Irish Brennen, one of the head Mafia families who live in New York. And also, someone who got out. She didn't want that life. She is an up and coming head lawyer. One who just landed her the case of all cases. That of Joseph Rossi. 

Joseph Rossi was the son of Jimmy Rossi, the head of the other Mafia in New York. One who stayed in the life. One who used to be best friends with Sloane once upon a time. And one who now has a job to do. 

Kidnap Sloane and turn her over to Reno, the guy in Italy more frightening than anyone else Joseph has ever met. All to get her father to fall in line, and follow the rules Jimmy set out. And, bonus with her gone, Joseph won't see the case Sloane has against him hit the courtroom. 

It should be easy. Kidnap Sloane, hand her over and walk away. Sloane's life may now be in danger, so Joseph must now figure out if his loyalties lie, with his family or with the girl he has always loved. 

This was a quick read. If you are into enemies to lovers, forbidden mafia romances then this book checks all of those boxes. 

It's a Romeo and Juliet retelling- two families, sworn enemies and at war with one another, and the heirs of the families dealing with hidden attractions & feelings for one another. From friends to enemies to lovers, this brings that second chance romance to life. 

Is Joseph the man Sloane remembers from their past, or has his father gotten his claws in too deep? 

Is Sloane the girl Joseph once loved and saved countless times or has the years apart changed her? 

And what will happen between Joseph and Sloane now that their lives may be in danger? 

I can't wait to find out the answer to these questions and more. 4⭐ out of 5⭐. 


This book does end on a cliffhanger. 

Trigger Warnings: NatashaReadsBooks: Trigger Warnings (natashareadsbooksbookblog.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment