Skip to main content

Reviews: Avery's Story & Rumor Has It



Reviews: Next Novels by Scholastic 





Title: Avery's Story 

Series: Rival High 

Author: Candace Buford 

Illustrator: Jamie Green 

Release Date: Oct 6, 2026




Welcome to Rival High! When two high schools merge, four friends help each other navigate the ensuing drama in this brand-new light novel series.
Avery has always struggled to make friends. And while she’s super nervous about starting high school, she also sees an opportunity to start fresh. But what she doesn’t foresee is starting high school in a battle It turns out Walker High and Sherman High are merging, and no one is happy about it.That's where Avery meets Madison, Teresa, and Corinne, and Avery wants nothing more than to impress them. So when Avery sees an opening to embellish the truth a little, she takes it. And then she does it again, and again -- until Avery has trouble keeping her story straight, and her new friends are getting suspicious.
Will Ari be able to fix things before her friends figure out the truth? Find out in the first title of the Rival High light novel series!



Avery's Story follows Avery during her first year at a new high school wy from her best friend. Between wiping out in front of a bunch of students starting her first day in the new nurses office - which just so happens to be her mom - to making a new friend with a little white lie her new year is not off to a good start. The white lies keep piling up, and the school had to close - meaning Avery's old life at her old school is now crashing with her new life when her new school needs to temporarily join her old campus. What could possibly go wrong? 
So if you are looking for a new middle school novel - I recommend Rival High Avery's Story. Avery is learning how to maneuver through a new school, & new friends - Corrine, Teresea & Madison. Avery is just trying to figure out where he fits in - in this new life she didn't want. She wished she could be back at her old school with her best friend Reagan - but when her wish came true,her new life and old life collide. Overall it was a fun, good read about trying to make new friends, and the importance of telling the truth & the art added a fun touch to the novel. 
4⭐ out of 5⭐. 
(Unfortunately - with daughter's new middle school schedule she didn't have the time to read the books before my scheduled post date - but I will be looking forward to her thoughts on the books when she does read them 😊). 



ABOUT THE AUTHOR: 


Candace Buford has been an avid reader since childhood-always looking for stories with strong and complex people of color. She graduated from Duke University with a degree in German literature and holds a law degree from Penn State Law, as well as a business degree from Duke University's Fuqua School of Business. Raised in Houston, Candace currently lives in the heart of Texas, where you can find her huddled in café corners, scribbling away in her note- book. She shares her life with a rocket scientist and a doodle dog, who both ensure there is never a dull day. Candace is the author of the critically acclaimed novels Kneel and Good as Gold. Follow her on Instagram @CandaceBuford or visit 


Website | Instagram 


ABOUT THE Illustrator: 

Jamie Green is a creator based in Cleveland, Ohio. She has illustrated several books, including the Arden High series by Molly Horton Booth and Stephanie Kate Strohm, and A Line Can Go Anywhere by Caroline McAlister. When she isn't illustrating, Jamie spends her time lifting, knitting, foraging, and hiking. 




Title: Rumor Has It 

Series: The Luckies 

Authors: Sarah Mlynowski & Christina Soontornvat 

Illustrator: Madi Wong 

Release Date: Oct 6, 2026 




Welcome to your NEXT great read! NEXT is an exciting new line of books that feature short, irresistible stories that include both full-color and black-and-white art that's sure to keep you hooked. Once you've read one, you'll need to know what happens...NEXT! Mega-bestselling, award-winning authors Sarah Mlynowski and Christina Soontornvat are kicking off the fun with The Luckies #1: Rumor Has It, which follows two stepsisters who don't get along at all...
From strangers to sisters...

Annie couldn't be more excited. She's moving to an adorable small town where she'll find the perfect friend group and maybe even her first boyfriend. Her new house has a pool, and she's getting a stepsister her age named Leela...

Leela is NOT happy. She's leaving the bright lights of New York City to live in the middle of nowhere with an annoying stepsister AND two stepbrothers. Plus, kids at her new school seem gossipy and toxic. Leela wants out.

When a blended family brings together two very different girls--each with their own secrets, crushes, and schemes--drama ensues. Will Annie and Leela find a way to get along, or is their luck about to run out?

Fast-paced and bingeable, this book features gorgeous illustrations by artist Madi Wong that bring the characters and setting to life. Bestselling and award-winning authors Sarah Mlynowski and Christina Soontornvat set up an irresistible series that will have you eager for Book 2!





Rumor Has It follows Annie and Leela who are newly stepsisters. 
Annie is excited, Leela on the other hand, isn't happy. 
But when this blended family brings these two very different girls together, drama ensues. Will Annie & Leela find a way to get along? 
Annie is looking forward to moving into her new house with a pool, in a small town. She hopes to make new friends, possibly get her first boyfriend and the thing she is most looking forward to is having a stepsister her own age! 
Leela, on the other hand, doesn't want to leave New York City and move to the middle of no where, she doesn't like the kids at her new school, and she especially doesn't like her new stepsister and stepbrothers. 
Both girls are very different. Both have their own secrets, crushes, & schemes. Both girls have to navigate a new town, new school and a new blended family. 
This book wasa fun good read - I enjoyed the texting pages which are always a fun addition, along with the art & the drama of the family. 
4⭐ out of 5⭐. 
(Unfortunately - with daughter's new middle school schedule she didn't have the time to read the books before my scheduled post date - but I will be looking forward to her thoughts on the books when she does read them 😊). 




ABOUT THE AUTHORS: 


SARAH MLYNOWSKI (1) is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author and coauthor of over fifty books for kids, tweens, teens, and adults, including the Whatever After series, the Best Wishes series, and the Upside-Down Magic series, which was adapted into a Disney Channel movie. Originally from Montreal, Sarah now lives in Los Angeles with her family. Visit her online at sarahm.com.

Website

CHRISTINA SOONTORNVAT (r) is the New York Times bestselling author of books for children of all ages, including the graphic novels The Tryout and The Squad. Christina has received three Newbery Honor awards for her books for middle grade readers, and she is the only author to be awarded Newbery Honors for both fiction and nonfiction in the same year. Christina lives in Tennessee with her family. Visit her online at soontornvat.com.

Website


ABOUT THE ILLUSTRATOR: 


MADI WONG is an artist, illustrator, and designer currently based in Atlanta. Born and raised in Hong Kong, Madi has always loved anything under the arts umbrella. Madi often works digitally but also paints with gouache and draws with ink, markers, and colored pencils. Madi can be found watching cartoons, trav- eling, crafting, or gazing at photos of her odd rescue dog, Lila. Some of her favorite things to draw are silly little animals, fun florals, and sweet character interac- tions. Visit her online at madiwong.com.

Website


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reread: Broken Bonds

  Title: Broken Bonds  Series: Bonds That Tie  Author: J Bree Release Date: June 2021 After the death of my mother and her Bonded, I was relieved to find my own Bonds. I was sure everything would be okay if I had them. It wasn’t. The fate of our people is in my hands and I know we’re better off if I’m alone. After five years on the run, I’m caught and dragged back to face the men I ran away from. I thought I was doing the right thing. Now, I’m not so sure. North, Nox, Gryphon, Atlas, and Gabe may never forgive me but one thing is for sure. I won’t ever forgive myself. *Broken Bonds is a full length reverse harem PNR novel with material that may be difficult for some readers. This book will end on a cliffhanger. It's recommended for 18+ due to language and sexual situations. Goodreads | Amazon   So I am rereading the Bonds that Tie series to read the newest release Broken Ties. You can find my  Original Review Here . This is a romantasy why choose romance full o...

Jan 2nd 2026 Newsletter

  Hey everyone! Hope everyone had a good holiday 😊!!  So it's been awhile since my last newsletter. - I'm unsure if this will be a weekly, bi weekly or monthly thing yet, bc it's a lot of work, but we'll see what the year brings. But let's start the new year with a Meet The Reader  Hi, my name is Natasha - my bday is January 3rd! I am a mom, & reader. I have a 10 - almost 11- year old daughter who also loves to read & a dog named Skye & a cat named Sunny and 4 goldfish. Besides books I also love Supernatural, Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman, Marvel & Disney. My favorite season is Autumn & I love Halloween. You will most likely catch me listening to 2000's punk or emo music or other 90s-20s music - I rarely listen to music newer than 2015.  I am a mood reader - meaning I am constantly picking up & putting down books trying to find something that hold my attention,& I will read anything from YA/NA, to fantasy, romantasy, romance, da...

Reread: Forced Bonds

  Title: Forced Bonds  Series: The Bonds That Tie  Author: J Bree Release Date: March 2022 They say to keep your friends close but your enemies closer; What if they’re one and the same? The stable foundation I thought I’d built in the Sanctuary has been ripped away, and I find myself on the front lines of the war against the Resistance. I might have my Bonds on my side, but there are darker schemes in motion. Can I prove myself and turn the tide to protect our most vulnerable, or am I nothing more than the monster they’ve always claimed I am? Will we make it out of this without tragic consequences? *Forced Bonds is a full length reverse harem PNR novel with material that may be difficult for some readers. This book will end on a cliffhanger. It's recommended for 18+ due to language and sexual situations. Goodreads | Amazon   Forced Bonds is book 4 in the Bonds That Tie series & must be read in order - you can find my Original Review Here Oh my god. Even though I...